It is a necessity to at least for following symptoms must be found for at least 2 weeks to say severe depression. Sleep disorders ...
It is a necessity to at least for following symptoms must be found for at least 2 weeks to say severe depression.
- Sleep disorders are common. Insomnia can be in the form of frequent wake up from sleep at night, hard to sleep again, wake up early in the morning and not sleeping again or sleeping too much.
- Eating problems are common. Less eating and weight loss according with it or weight gain due to eating too much.
- Feelings of worthlessness, hopelessness and guilt can be seen. Patients generally think they are useless. The future is desperate and dark. Nothing will get better. Sadness and despair that related with depression is so intense and they lose interest in life, they cannot enjoy anything. Sexual reluctance may be seen and patients often do not want to get out from bed and do not want to eat. Self-reproach of patients is so intense and feelings are usually out of place. For example, events that lived a long time ago and made mistakes are remembered again and guilt feelings related with them are felt. Additionally, there may thoughts about guilt unnecessarily related with some events. The patients say that, they cannot stop their thoughts about old mistakes and they know these thought are nonsense.
- Concentration difficulty and decision-making difficulties. It's hard to concentrate on work or lessons. For example, the patients understand that they did not understand anything from the page that they read when they completed it, and then they read it again. They have decision-making difficulty in the smallest matters.
- Lack of energy, feeling tired all the time, losing pleasure against everything, feeling nothing emotionally. Patients wake up tiredly and fatigue continues throughout the day. They do not want to do tasks what they once did with pleasure and they choose loneliness. The patients say that, as if they lose all emotions to their children and wife, their feelings have died and they feel guilty related with this situation.
- There may be a desire to die. The light way, patients think about die and want that from the God. There may be suicidal thoughts or suicide attempts. Most of the patients say that, they have intense thoughts, but they do not attempt that because, it is not acceptable for religion, or they have to live for their children if they die. Some patients make plans for how to commit suicide. Also, some of them want treatment only after the suicide attempt.
Symptoms that related with depression are thought about other diseases and a lot of people do not think about depression when these symptoms occurred. These patients usually go to doctors instead of psychiatry or they try to treat themselves on their own. Most of the patients who applied to psychiatry are directed by doctors that from other departments. Also, most of the patients are furious to they are directed to psychiatry. Some of them do not want to go psychiatry due to social pressure and if they go, they want to complete their job immediately. However, depression is one of the most common diseases of our age and if it is not treated, it may result in death so it is a necessity to apply to the specialist. Depression will be treated if it can be treated properly. If depression takes a long time, it may cause disturbing the family, work and social harmony, destroying the marriage of the person and leaving the job. Another issue that has been researched in recent years is how children are affected by depression that occurred in parents. Researches show that, there is an increase about anxiety in little children, depression in adolescent girls and using alcohol and drug in young boys. Be treated as soon as possible will help to shorten of duration of trauma that suffered by children, therefore there will be a decrease of rates of disorder that emerged in the later years of life.
Depression is not seen in every patient in the same way and it is divided into subgroups in itself. These groups are:
- Chronic Depression
- Atypical Depression
- Postpartum Depression